Uddhav submits plan to CM for theme park at race course
Mumbai: Shiv Sena president Uddhav Thackeray today submitted a plan to Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan for setting up a state-of-the-art garden at the Mahalaxmi race course.
The 99-year lease of Royal Western India Turf Club (RWITC), which maintains the Mahalaxmi race course, expired on May 31, prompting the Shiv Sena to demand a theme park at the sprawling grounds.
"I met the Chief Minister and handed over the plan to him to build a theme park at the Mahalaxmi race course. After 99 years, people of Mumbai have got the opportunity (to take control of this land)," Uddhav told reporters after meeting Chavan.
"The Chief Minister said he will consult all (parties) before going ahead with the plan. He also said the concept is good," he said.
The Sena leader, who was accompanied by senior party leader Subhash Desai, Mumbai Mayor Sunil Prabhu and BMC`s standing committee chairman Rahul Shewale, also said that he does not want to politicise the matter and "nobody should make it a prestige issue."
"The CM said the concept is good. He will call everybody to discuss the issue. The land is of Mumbaikars," Uddhav said.
A couple of days back, Uddhav had asked people to send suggestions or objections to the proposal and clarified that he had never demanded that the garden be named after his late father Bal Thackeray.
BMC Commissioner Sitaram Kunte had said the civic body would be submitting a report to the state government on the race course issue.
Set up in 1883, the Mahalaxmi race course occupies 8.5 lakh square metres of open space - a vital green lung in the heart of the island city. Planners and activists have weighed in options ranging from setting up a theme park, to building a public garden along the lines of London`s Hyde Park.
The Shiv Sena-BJP-RPI controlled BMC owns 2.5 lakh square metres of the race course land, while the state owns the rest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA