Uddhav Thackeray opposes proposed Navi Mumbai airport
Mumbai: Highlighting differences among the
UPA Government on Navi Mumbai airport, Shiv Sena executive
chief Uddhav Thackeray on Saturday said the Environment Ministry
should be "shut down" if its opinion has no value.
"Shut down the Environment Ministry if its opinion on the
proposed Navi Mumbai airport is not taken into consideration,"
Uddhav told reporters here.
Uddhav said he was commenting on the issue after Union
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh opposed the airport site
for possible environment hurdles and Civil Aviation Minister
Praful Patel yesterday said the new airport would come up at
Navi Mumbai only.
The surrounding environment would be altered for the
construction of the airport like changing course of two rivers
and deforesting mangroves` cover, the Sena leader said.
"Coming generations would have to pay for this
environment alteration, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel
would not pay for it," he said.
Uddhav also suggested to scout for other sites for the
airport with minimum environment loss.
On Mumbai development, Uddhav said the state Government
has recently introduced a Bill which would take away BMC`s
authority on managing water, solid waste and transport
facilities in the city.
"Is this not a plan of making the city separate from the
remaining state," Uddhav asked.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Britain`s queen joins royal Invictus Games challenge to Obamas -Watch video
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2016: VS Achuthanandan’s one line speech stuns CPM workers
- Actor-politician Shatrughan Sinha says he would be happy to promote Bihar as its brand ambassador
- Good news! Foreigners, NRIs can now book train tickets in India using debit, credit cards
- Telangana SSC class 10th Results 2016 is likely to be declared on May 5