Uddhav Thackeray opposes proposed Navi Mumbai airport
Mumbai: Highlighting differences among the
UPA Government on Navi Mumbai airport, Shiv Sena executive
chief Uddhav Thackeray on Saturday said the Environment Ministry
should be "shut down" if its opinion has no value.
"Shut down the Environment Ministry if its opinion on the
proposed Navi Mumbai airport is not taken into consideration,"
Uddhav told reporters here.
Uddhav said he was commenting on the issue after Union
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh opposed the airport site
for possible environment hurdles and Civil Aviation Minister
Praful Patel yesterday said the new airport would come up at
Navi Mumbai only.
The surrounding environment would be altered for the
construction of the airport like changing course of two rivers
and deforesting mangroves` cover, the Sena leader said.
"Coming generations would have to pay for this
environment alteration, Civil Aviation Minister Praful Patel
would not pay for it," he said.
Uddhav also suggested to scout for other sites for the
airport with minimum environment loss.
On Mumbai development, Uddhav said the state Government
has recently introduced a Bill which would take away BMC`s
authority on managing water, solid waste and transport
facilities in the city.
"Is this not a plan of making the city separate from the
remaining state," Uddhav asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof