Uddhav Thackeray visits Ratnagiri victim`s family
Mumbai: Shiv Sena leader Uddhav Thackeray Monday visited the family of Tabrez Sayekar, who was killed a week ago in police firing in Ratnagiri district while opposing the 9,900-MW Jaitapur Nuclear Power Project.
Accompanied by several senior leaders and around 100 party workers from the area, Thackeray met and consoled the grieving widow of Sayekar and other family members at his home in the coastal fishing village of Sakhri-Nate.
Commiserating with the family and others who had gathered there, Thackeray reiterated that Sayekar had become a `martyr` to the cause of protesting against the Jaitapur nuclear power plant.
Thackeray, who was flanked by party MP Sanjay Raut, legislator Neelam Gorhe, senior leader Diwakar Raote and others, offered financial assistance of Rs.200,000 to Sayekar`s family members.
Later, he visited two people injured in the police firing who are recuperating at the Ratnagiri Civil Hospital and announced an aid of Rs.200,000 towards their medical expenses.
Police had organized strong security outside the village precincts for Thackeray`s visit.
According to Konkan Bachao Samiti chief Vaishali Patil, the villagers passed a resolution not to allow the police to enter the Sakhri-Nate after last week`s police firing.
"After the resolution was passed, the police were not permitted to enter the village boundary today during Thackeray`s visit," Patil said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference