Uddhav undergoes angioplasty, is `absolutely fine`
Mumbai: Shiv Sena executive president Uddhav Thackeray on Friday underwent an angioplasty procedure and all three blockages in his arteries were successfully removed after nearly three hours, doctors said.
Besides wife Rashmi and son Aditya, Uddhav`s cousin and Maharashtra Navnirman Sena chief Raj Thackeray was also present at the Lilavati hospital where the surgery was conducted.
Uddhav, 51, had been admitted to hospital after chest pain last Monday. An angiography was performed, revealing at least three blockages.
Doctors attending on him said one of the blockages was difficult, while the other two were less complicated to remove, a doctor said.
"The procedure is successful and he (Uddhav) is absolutely fine. He is doing well and his heart is functioning normally. He will be discharged by Sunday," said Samuel Mathews, one of the doctors operating on Uddhav.
"He is fully conscious. Immediately after the procedure, he spoke to Balasaheb (on phone) and then with his family members," he added.
The implications of Uddhav`s health condition are a matter of concern for his family and the Shiv Sena as well as its allies Bharatiya Janata Party and Republican Party of India.
With Raj and Uddhav coming close after the health crisis, political circles here are discussing the possibility of new permutations and combinations emerging.
However, both Shiv Sena and Raj Thackeray have dismissed any political fall-out of the two cousins coming together, insisting that it was purely out of family considerations.
The team of doctors conducting the angioplasty on Uddhav is the same that had done the procedure on his father Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray in July 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in