UID data to be used for biometric ration cards
Mumbai: Long pending project of biometric
ration cards may get a boost with Maharashtra Government
deciding to use data to be collected for the Centre`s Unique
Identity Cards (UID) scheme.
"The data collected for UID like photo of a person,
fingerprints and iris image would be used for the biometric
ration cards since the data requirement is similar," Food and
Civil Supplies Minister Anil Deshmukh said today.
There are about 2.5 crore ration cardholders in the
state including APL and BPL and the biometric card would be
separate from the UID.
The government will start collecting data for UID from
November 1 and finish the process in February next year. The
centre has offered financial assistance of Rs 1,000 crore for
the exercise, Deshmukh said.
The process would be completed in four months and the
Food and Civil Supplies Department would get readymade data
for making biometric ration cards, the minister said.
The biometric cards would curb the menace of bogus
ration cards. Shops would also be connected with tehsil and
collector offices which would keep a track on the food items
provided to the people. This would definitely reduce black
marketing of foods, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued