Ujjwal Nikam for speedy justice
Mumbai: Even as the fast-track court in Delhi took nine months to convict the accused in the December 16 gang rape case, the judicial machinery is trying to deliver quick justice to the victim in the Shakti Mills gang rape case.
The police will be filing their charge sheet in a week’s time and the chief minister had earlier said that they would be sending the case to a fast-track court.
Ujjwal Nikam, who is appointed as the special public prosecutor in the Shakti Mills case, said as per the new amendment in the Indian Penal Code (IPC), trial in an offence against woman has to be completed within two months from its commencement.
“In the Delhi gang rape case, we do not know the circumstances under which the trial took so long. So we can not comment on that,” said Nikam, adding that at times the trial gets delayed because of lengthy cross examination.
As far as Shakti Mills gang rape case is concerned, the police are yet to file the charge sheet against the five accused. Nikam said his role will begin after the filing of the charge sheet.
“Once the Shakti Mills rape trial commences, all steps will be taken to ensure speedier justice to the victim and the accused will be punished if found guilty, sending a strong a message to the society that crimes against women will not be tolerated,” said Nikam.
The charge sheet will have the details of the victim’s ordeal, witnesses’ statements, crucial evidence collected from the spot, DNA analysis reports, phone records and identification parade information, among others.“There is no time frame set for a fast track court to complete its trial. It is the principal judge of the court who decides on the time frame within which the trial has to be completed,” said a court official on condition of anonymity.
The court official said that in a fast-track court, the examination of certain ‘repetitive witnesses’ are skipped to shorten the trial period. “This saves time and helps the court to complete the trial at the earliest,” said the official.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read