UK national convicted in cheating case in US held in Mumbai
Mumbai: A British national, convicted by a US court in 2009 in a case of cheating to the tune of 7.5 lakh US dollars and absconding since then, was arrested from his hideout in the city after he arrived here for the marketing of a popular music album overseas, police said on Tuesday.
Acting on a tip off, accused Christopher Godfrey was apprehended from an apartment at Oberoi Springs residential society in suburban Andheri on Sunday evening where he had been staying since March 20, they said.
Godfrey was yesterday produced before a local court which remanded him in judicial custody for 14 days.
The accused would now be taken to a Delhi`s extradition court, which would decide further course of action, they said.
According to police, the case against Godfrey dates back to 2001-02 when he was booked for procuring US dollars 7,50,000 loan from a financial institution through fraudulent means.
"In 2009, Godfrey was convicted by a court in the district of Illinois of the US. Since then he had been absconding," said Shalini Sharma, inspector of the Mumbai Police crime branch.
While on the run, Godfrey changed places in the US and Belgium to hoodwink police.
A Red Corner Notice was issued sometime back this year by the US security authorities, police said.
"We had an information that Godfrey, who has been working for a popular Indian-origin-UK national Punjabi singer, came to Mumbai. Accordingly, a trap was laid and the accused was held," Sharma added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city