‘Ulterior motive of Cong behind Sachin nomination`
Mumbai: Stating that every step that Congress takes has a selfish agenda, Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray on Saturday said there is a need to check the "motive" of that party in nominating cricket icon Sachin Tendulkar to Rajya Sabha.
"Nothing that Congress does is straight and in no work of theirs, the motive is clean," Thackeray said in an editorial in party mouthpiece Saamana here.
"Crores of Sachin`s fans would have liked to call him Bharat Ratna Sachin Tendulkar. Alas, he would now only be Sachin Tendulkar, MP.
"Congress may have won laurels for a while by nominating Sachin, but it won`t help their vote bank dreams," Thackeray said.
The Congress is beset with various problems and is trying to divert media`s attention by making Sachin a Rajya Sabha nominated member, he said.
Congress could have considered names of Sunil Gavaskar, Kapil Dev and Rahul Dravid for the Rajya Sabha nomination, he said.
Thackeray also objected to the "motive" behind nominating Rekha to the Upper House. "Rekha may be `khoobsurat` but the motive of nominating her is not clean," he said.
Congress has played dirty politics here, the Sena patriarch said, referring to reports that Congress wanted to pit Amitabh Bachchan`s wife Jaya against his most popular on-screen leading lady Rekha in the House.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive