Unani practitioner arrested for raping minor daughter
Mumbai: A 45-year-old practitioner of Unani medicine was arrested for allegedly raping his minor daughter for nearly a year in the metropolis, police said today.
The accused, Mohammed Siddiqui, a resident of Vikhroli suburb in Mumbai, was arrested on Sunday night after his 15-year-old daughter informed about her ordeal to police.
The accused has nine children, including seven daughters. The victim is his third child.
In her statement, the girl alleged that her father raped her at least seven times for nearly one year, police said.
The accused had threatened his daughter and his bed-ridden wife with dire consequences if they informed about it to anybody, said inspector V Chavan of Vikhroli police station.
On Sunday afternoon, the victim mustered courage and informed her neighbour friend.
The friend`s family members helped her and took her to the police station following which the accused was booked.
Siddiqui was arrested on charges of rape and criminal intimidation and relevant sections of Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.
He was produced before a local court yesterday which remanded him in police custody till 7 February.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley