Undertrial gets Cong ticket for Dahanu civic polls
Thane: The Dahanu Congress local committee president, who is in prison for his alleged involvement in a multi-crore scam in a city-based co-operative bank, has been given the party ticket to contest Dahanu civic elections scheduled for November 04.
In this connection, senior Congress leaders from the district have lodged a protest and complaint with the All India Congress Committee (AICC) and the Maharashtra Pradesh Congress Committee (MPCC) seeking action against the erring leader who preferred the jailed candidate.
The MPCC had given the A/B form to Adi Irani, the party`s official candidate, to contest elections from a ward in Dahanu town. The form was cleared by the MPCC and was to be given by the district rural Congress president Damoo Shingada, according to sources at district headquarters.
However, Congress leader and state Cabinet minister Rajendra Gavit is alleged to have given the A/B form to Bharat Rajput, the Congress candidate currently in jail and whose name was not cleared by the party.
Talking to a news agency here on Sunday night, Shingada said that minister Gavit had resorted to anti-party activities and defied party directives in three such cases.
Shingada said that the Congress would suffer a major blow in the Dahanu civic elections due to such ongoing anti-party activities, besides the onslaught by the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP).
He said that he had lodged a complaint in this connection seeking action against Gavit with the AICC, MPCC, Maharashtra Congress in-charge Mohan Prakash and minister in-charge for the district, Radhakrishna Vikhe Patil.
Due to such problems within the party, the Chief Minister and MPCC chief decided not to canvas for the Congress in Dahanu, a senior party functionary told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what