Union tourism ministry proposes fast train between Mumbai-Goa
Panaji: The Union Tourism Ministry has proposed a fast train between Goa and Mumbai to attract more tourists to the coastal state.
Union Tourism Minister and local MP, Sripad Naik, today chaired a meeting of Goa government`s task force on tourism here. Afterwards, he told reporters that the Union Railway Ministry would be requested to sanction a fast train connecting Mumbai and Goa.
"People are facing scarcity of tickets. The trains are always full. The flight fares are skyrocketing. Due to this there is difficulty in getting more tourists to the state," said Naik.
A proposal for a luxury train on the lines of Palace on Wheels too would be taken up with the Railway Ministry, he said.
The forthcoming `Exposition of Relics` of St Fracis Xavier in Old Goa would be turned into a religious tourism event, it was decided in the meeting.
The decennial exposition would be held in the first week of December, and is expected to attract lakhs of tourists.
When asked whether Pope Fracis would be invited to the event, Naik said the invitation might be sent through the Union Ministry of External Affairs "but we wo
uld like to have the Pope for the exposition".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter