US consulate opens in suburban Mumbai
Mumbai: The US consulate general in Mumbai officially opened its doors to visitors at its new Bandra-Kurla Complex location in the city, an official said here on Monday.
The formal ceremony started with the ceremonial hoisting of the US flag by a detachment of the consulate`s Marine security guards.
The first US visa applicants, Dinesh Patel and his family, were welcomed at the new building by Consul General Peter Haas and received their visas there.
"It has a nice atmosphere, a good campus and the staff is really cooperative," remarked Patel after securing his visa.
According to the consular chief, David Tyler, the new building has over 40 interview windows and employs the latest technology to ensure that visa applicants have a short waiting time, besides a positive interview experience and expanded facilities for US citizens in India.
"Visa applicants are going to be really pleased with our new location. We now have a bigger and more pleasant space, and the capacity to serve more visa applicants at the same time," said Tyler on the occasion.
The new consulate building houses all the US government offices under one roof, including the consulate, the American Center and American Library, the offices of the US Foreign Commercial Service and Foreign Agricultural Service, and the consul-general`s residence.
The American Library, until now located at New Marine Lines, will reopen to existing members Dec 5, said Anne Grimes, public affairs officer for the consulate. She said that people in the suburbs would find it a good opportunity to avail its services here.
Similarly, the American Center programming will resume in January at the new location and with partners located throughout Mumbai, she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla