US envoy expresses concern over child mortality
Mumbai: Extending her country`s support to Maharashtra in tackling the HIV epidemic, US Ambassador to India Nancy Powell on Monday expressed concern over children dying before the age of five years.
"...We should ensure that every child around the world reaches his fifth birthday... Particularly in India... One in five children around the world are Indians. We see that lot of children die before their fifth birthday," Powell said during her visit to the Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital at Bhiwandi in neighbouring Thane district.
Hailing the work done by India to tackle HIV/AIDS, she said both the countries have been working to prevent, detect and respond to the threats of the disease.
"We are working hand-in-hand with some of the most difficult health issues of our times. We are working towards improving the lives of millions of people. The work you have been doing on the HIV/AIDS is enormous to save the child," she said.
During her visit, Powell saw the work done by the hospital to combat HIV/AIDS.
"It is powerful to see first hand the extraordinary work that is being done to combat HIV/AIDS. I am proud of our partnership with Maharashtra in tackling this challenge. This joint effort is one of many examples of the deep partnership between the United States and India to address global health issues," Powell said.
The US government investments under the President`s emergency plan for AIDS relief (PEPFAR) India programme support key areas of the country`s response to HIV/AIDS, including strengthening laboratory and strategic information systems, prevention and treatment services, human capacity development, public-private partnerships and global transfer of best practices, an official statement said.
In addition, the recent commitment of the governments of the two countries towards action for child survival will contribute to the goal of creating an AIDS-free generation, the statement added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- LIVE: Jallikattu protests turn violent, vehicles near Ice House Police station set on fire
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP