Vice Chancellor apologises for `sexist` comments
New Delhi: Facing flak from various quarters
for his alleged sexist comments on women writers, the Vice
Chancellor of a central university today tendered an
Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi Antrarashtriya Hindi
Vishwa Vidyalaya, Wardha, V N Rai, who reportedly raised
question over the character of women Hindi writers, today met
HRD Minister Kapil Sibal and explained his stand on the issue.
Hours later, he submitted an unconditional apology,
expressing regret over his comments.
"The sentiments of certain women writers were hurt by
some of the contents of the interview. I also feel as a Vice
Chancellor of a Central University, I should not have used
inappropriate words which hurt the feelings of the women
writers. I sincerely apologise for the same," Rai said in the
Rai had given an interview to Hindi literary magazine
`Naya Gyanodaya`, published by Bhartiya Gyanpeeth. He had
reportedly raised questions over character of women Hindi
writers and made some disparaging remarks.
Sibal reprimanded Rai for the sexist comments. He has
said that action will be taken against Rai for his comments
which are unacceptable.
"Such disparaging remarks about women writers in general
represent a mindset which is inconsistent with the dignity of
the office he occupies," the HRD Minister had said.
A group of women writers today met Sibal and demanded
disciplinary action against the VC. Those who met Sibal
include Sabita Singh, Anamika, Rekha Awasti and Anita Bharti.
The ministry will now examine the apology and decide on
the further course of action, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India