Vidharbha leaders complain of neglect
Nagpur: As the Prithviraj Chavan-led Democratic Front government in Maharashtra completes two years in office, speculation is rife about a likely Cabinet reshuffle.
Chavan had himself indicated last month that some changes may be effected possibly before the Winter Session of the Maharashtra Legislature commencing here from December 10.
The rejig, Congress sources said, is aimed at getting the government fighting fit for 2014 when the state as well general elections are to be held.
The talk of reshuffle has prompted the Congress camp in Vidarbha to complain of region`s "continued neglect".
"It`s a one-way street. The love and faith of people for the Congress flows without ebb. But the party has stopped reciprocating in the last few years. This is mainly because the central leadership has been given the idea that only the Marathas and that too from western Maharashtra matter in the state and no other community has any voice," said a veteran Congress leader from the region, on condition of anonymity.
As many as 700 communities of OBC and scheduled tribes put together have been kept away from power, he complained.
"But this was not the case with first three generations of the Nehru-Gandhi family," the senior party leader said.
"Nehru had a role in anointing Kannamwar as the chief minister of the state way back in 1962. Then during Indira Gandhi`s regime, Vasantrao Naik from Banjara community of Pusad got to head the state and he held on for 11 years.
`Even at the Centre leaders like Vasant Sathe and NKP Salve were given prominent positions.
"But that golden era seems to have ended," the veteran Congress leader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore