Vijay Kamble finally takes charge as Thane Police Commissioner
Thane: Senior IPS officer Vijay Kamble on Tuesday took charge as Thane Police Commissioner, ending his protest after being ignored for the post of Mumbai police chief.
The 1980-batch officer reportedly went on leave yesterday in protest against the appointment of his junior Rakesh Maria (1981 batch) as Mumbai Police Commissioner last weekend.
Kamble, previously Additional Director General (Highways), late this evening took charge of his new post succeeding K P Raghuvanshi.
Maharashtra Government yesterday defended its decision to appoint Maria to the high-profile post for which another officer Javed Ahmed (1979 batch) was also in the race.
Home Minister R R Patil had yesterday said there was no dissatisfaction among officers over Maria`s appointment or ground for disgruntlement. He had hoped the transferred officers will join their new postings.
According to reports, Patil convinced Kamble to take up the new posting and the latter acceded.
Talking to the media after taking charge, Kamble sidestepped questions related to his reported protest.
Asked why there was a delay in taking charge of the new assignment, Kamble said his leave of Monday was planned in advance and he had gone to Kolhapur with his family and returned today.
He simply nodded his head in response to media queries over the issue of his latest appointment and the row surrounding it.
Kamble said he would hold discussions with his officers soon to get himself acquainted with the Thane commissionerate.
The IPS officer had earlier served in Thane as Joint Commissioner. He was also Navi Mumbai police chief.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family