Village meets info to be conveyed through SMS
Mumbai: The Department of Rural Development of Maharashtra government has decided to do away with the system of making public announcements to inform villagers about the village meets and has decided to start sending text messages to them about the same.
"Gram sabhas are a necessary part of democracy and therefore it is essential to increase the participation of the people in the decision-making process," Minister of State for Rural Development Satej Patil said in a press release.
So far, information about the Gram Panchayat activities, like the upcoming village meets, used to be conveyed to the villagers through public announcements or by putting up notice on the boards in the village.
However, the department has decided to bring in suitable changes in the system. "The gram panchayats will send SMS to the villagers informing them about the gram sabhas or other developments," Patil added.
The gram sevaks (village assistants) will register the mobile numbers of the voters with the help of employees working in the gram panchayats and volunteers of the `Bharat Nirman` scheme.
All the gram sevaks and data entry operators would be trained in this regard, Patil said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof