Violence after Hindu group leader killed in UP
Lucknow: Policemen were attacked and government property damaged as violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh`s Ambedkarnagar distrct after a Hindu leader was shot dead, police said on Monday.
Ram Babu Gupta, the district president of the Hindu Yuva Vahini, was shot dead by unidentified assailants late Sunday night while he was returning from his hotel in Tanda, 470 km from here.
As news of the killing spread, his supporters took to the streets, torching vehicles, attacking policemen and damaging government and other properties.
Police personnel who reached the crime scene were chased away and the station house officer was thrashed. Many vehicles, including a police jeep, were torched, forcing the police to fire in the air.
Officials said the situation was brought under control early Monday morning and efforts were on to pacify the irate mobs that had gathered at the house of the slain politician.
"The supporters of the deceased have gone on the rampage. We are trying to bring the situation under control," Superintendent of Police DP Srivastava told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'