Violence after Hindu group leader killed in UP
Lucknow: Policemen were attacked and government property damaged as violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh`s Ambedkarnagar distrct after a Hindu leader was shot dead, police said on Monday.
Ram Babu Gupta, the district president of the Hindu Yuva Vahini, was shot dead by unidentified assailants late Sunday night while he was returning from his hotel in Tanda, 470 km from here.
As news of the killing spread, his supporters took to the streets, torching vehicles, attacking policemen and damaging government and other properties.
Police personnel who reached the crime scene were chased away and the station house officer was thrashed. Many vehicles, including a police jeep, were torched, forcing the police to fire in the air.
Officials said the situation was brought under control early Monday morning and efforts were on to pacify the irate mobs that had gathered at the house of the slain politician.
"The supporters of the deceased have gone on the rampage. We are trying to bring the situation under control," Superintendent of Police DP Srivastava told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional