Violence after Hindu group leader killed in UP
Lucknow: Policemen were attacked and government property damaged as violence broke out in Uttar Pradesh`s Ambedkarnagar distrct after a Hindu leader was shot dead, police said on Monday.
Ram Babu Gupta, the district president of the Hindu Yuva Vahini, was shot dead by unidentified assailants late Sunday night while he was returning from his hotel in Tanda, 470 km from here.
As news of the killing spread, his supporters took to the streets, torching vehicles, attacking policemen and damaging government and other properties.
Police personnel who reached the crime scene were chased away and the station house officer was thrashed. Many vehicles, including a police jeep, were torched, forcing the police to fire in the air.
Officials said the situation was brought under control early Monday morning and efforts were on to pacify the irate mobs that had gathered at the house of the slain politician.
"The supporters of the deceased have gone on the rampage. We are trying to bring the situation under control," Superintendent of Police DP Srivastava told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: All seats declared - BJP emerges as biggest gainer, bags 81 seats; Shiv Sena gets 84
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Big setback for Shiv Sena as BJP bags 81 seats in BMC
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway