Voluntary shutdown in Mumbai on Monday, Shiv Sena says no bandh
Mumbai: Trade associations in Mumbai and Maharashtra have called for a voluntary shutdown Monday as a mark of respect for Shiv Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray, who passed away Saturday afternoon.
A statement by the Federation of Associations of Maharashtra (FAM) called upon the trading community to observe the shutdown and observe `Shraddhanjali Day` Monday.
"The state of Maharashtra and the trading community has lost a true friend and a well-wisher. Balasaheb was a great son of the soil and a true nationalist who minced no words to express his views," said FAM president Mohan Gurnani.
The retails and wholesale jewellery market - Zaveri Bazar - and all other jewellery units will also remain shut Monday.
Shiv Sena, however, denied having called a shutdown. "The shutdown call is purely voluntary. We have not called for any kind of shutdown," party spokesperson Anil Parab told a news agency.
Auto rickshaws and taxis might ply.
All educational institutions, including schools and colleges, will also remain closed on Monday owing to the call given by various bus owners` associations of the city and state.
Public transport including city buses and local trains will ply as usual throughout the city and state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video