Volunteers begin post-Ganesh Chaturthi cleanliness drive in Mumbai
Mumbai: Volunteers undertook a post-Ganesh Chaturthi cleanliness drive at the Juhu Beach here on Thursday.
The celebrations ended after ten days on Wednesday with immersion of idols.
College students and volunteers removed the debris and pollution caused by the immersion of idols.
Shruti Srivastav, a volunteer, said that due to people not using eco-friendly materials, the beaches and water bodies were getting polluted.
"We have been cleaning since 6:30 in the morning but despite that a lot of Idols have been buried in the sand. People keep talking about making eco friendly idols of Ganpati but they are never used and we face a lot of problems the next day," said Srivastav.
The immersion ceremony known as `Visarjan` is regarded as the divine entities returning to their abodes after being the guests of devotees on the occasion of Ganesh Chaturthi.
Rohit Pujari, another volunteer, said:"We had started this initiative, because it is necessary, as we always see in the news how much pollution is caused after Ganpati Visarjan."
"My only request is that people should use eco-friendly Ganpati idols," he added.
The annual festival of Ganesha Chaturthi usually falls between August and September.
Freedom fighter Lokmanya Tilak re-introduced the festival with an aim to foster communal harmony and unity in the country during the height of British colonial rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read