Wardboy held for raping mentally-challenged woman in Pune
Pune: A 22-year-old mentally challenged woman was raped allegedly by a ward boy at a nursing home whose doctors have been arrested on charge of trying to bribe the victim`s kin to hush up the matter.
The incident occurred at Walhekarwadi in Chinchwad town near hear on April 16 in the nursing home run by Dr Vishal Sonawane (34) and his wife Dr Varsha (31) where the victim was undergoing treatment, police said on Sunday.
Police arrested the accused, identified as Subhash Modad (22), on the charge of rape and the doctor couple for trying to hush up the matter and bribe the victim`s kin to not report the incident to police as it would bring bad name to their hospital.
"The incident came to light after four days as the doctor couple detained the suspect and offered bribe to the victim`s father for not reporting the incident to police," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Shahaji Umap.
The arrests were made on the complaint of the victim`s father, he said. Police said the medical examination of the woman, conducted by a government hospital, has confirmed rape.
While Modad was booked under section 376 (d) (intercourse by any member of the management or staff of a hospital with any woman in that hospital), the Sonawane couple under sections 213 (taking gift, etc, to screen an offender from punishment) and 214 (offering gift or restoration of property in consideration of screening offender, of the Indian Penal Code.
A local court yesterday remanded Modad in police custody till April 26 and the doctor couple till April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj