Wardboy held for raping mentally-challenged woman in Pune
Pune: A 22-year-old mentally challenged woman was raped allegedly by a ward boy at a nursing home whose doctors have been arrested on charge of trying to bribe the victim`s kin to hush up the matter.
The incident occurred at Walhekarwadi in Chinchwad town near hear on April 16 in the nursing home run by Dr Vishal Sonawane (34) and his wife Dr Varsha (31) where the victim was undergoing treatment, police said on Sunday.
Police arrested the accused, identified as Subhash Modad (22), on the charge of rape and the doctor couple for trying to hush up the matter and bribe the victim`s kin to not report the incident to police as it would bring bad name to their hospital.
"The incident came to light after four days as the doctor couple detained the suspect and offered bribe to the victim`s father for not reporting the incident to police," said Deputy Commissioner of Police Shahaji Umap.
The arrests were made on the complaint of the victim`s father, he said. Police said the medical examination of the woman, conducted by a government hospital, has confirmed rape.
While Modad was booked under section 376 (d) (intercourse by any member of the management or staff of a hospital with any woman in that hospital), the Sonawane couple under sections 213 (taking gift, etc, to screen an offender from punishment) and 214 (offering gift or restoration of property in consideration of screening offender, of the Indian Penal Code.
A local court yesterday remanded Modad in police custody till April 26 and the doctor couple till April 21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says