Water release from KRS stopped due to poor storage
Mandya: The water release from Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir into canals for irrigation purpose has been stopped from December 31 due to scarcity of water in view of the depleting storage, officials said on Wednesday.
"Water level in the reservoir is depleting day by day. The dam is facing acute shortage of water for summer crops. An appeal has been made to farmers coming under KRS canals not to cultivate summer crops," Superintendent Engineer (Irrigation) Shankare Gowda said.
Enough water was released for standing crops from August 16 to December 31, he said adding the water level this year had not reached maximum level due to inadequate rainfall.
Moreover Supreme Court`s order to release water to Tamil Nadu also caused depletion in water level of the dam, Gowda said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory