Water release from KRS stopped due to poor storage
Mandya: The water release from Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir into canals for irrigation purpose has been stopped from December 31 due to scarcity of water in view of the depleting storage, officials said on Wednesday.
"Water level in the reservoir is depleting day by day. The dam is facing acute shortage of water for summer crops. An appeal has been made to farmers coming under KRS canals not to cultivate summer crops," Superintendent Engineer (Irrigation) Shankare Gowda said.
Enough water was released for standing crops from August 16 to December 31, he said adding the water level this year had not reached maximum level due to inadequate rainfall.
Moreover Supreme Court`s order to release water to Tamil Nadu also caused depletion in water level of the dam, Gowda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued