Water release from KRS stopped due to poor storage
Mandya: The water release from Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir into canals for irrigation purpose has been stopped from December 31 due to scarcity of water in view of the depleting storage, officials said on Wednesday.
"Water level in the reservoir is depleting day by day. The dam is facing acute shortage of water for summer crops. An appeal has been made to farmers coming under KRS canals not to cultivate summer crops," Superintendent Engineer (Irrigation) Shankare Gowda said.
Enough water was released for standing crops from August 16 to December 31, he said adding the water level this year had not reached maximum level due to inadequate rainfall.
Moreover Supreme Court`s order to release water to Tamil Nadu also caused depletion in water level of the dam, Gowda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- PM Narendra Modi's gift on Maha Shivaratari: A 112-foot face of Lord Shiva - Read details