Water release from KRS stopped due to poor storage
Mandya: The water release from Krishnaraja Sagar Reservoir into canals for irrigation purpose has been stopped from December 31 due to scarcity of water in view of the depleting storage, officials said on Wednesday.
"Water level in the reservoir is depleting day by day. The dam is facing acute shortage of water for summer crops. An appeal has been made to farmers coming under KRS canals not to cultivate summer crops," Superintendent Engineer (Irrigation) Shankare Gowda said.
Enough water was released for standing crops from August 16 to December 31, he said adding the water level this year had not reached maximum level due to inadequate rainfall.
Moreover Supreme Court`s order to release water to Tamil Nadu also caused depletion in water level of the dam, Gowda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason
- Two lakh ration cards cancelled in two months in Jharkhand
- PM Narendra Modi returns from Tashkent after completing his two-day visit