Water release from Sina-Kolegaon dam stopped
Mumbai: Maharashtra government on Wednesday ordered a halt to the release of water from Sina-Kolegaon dam in Osmanabad district for Solapur after it was found that water was being used for agriculture instead of drinking purposes.
"Release of water from the dam has been stopped as it was found that water was used for agriculture when Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had directed it to be used for drinking purposes only", a spokesperson for the CM said here today.
Chavan had held meetings with people`s representatives from Osmanabad and Solapur districts and officials recently to ensure that scarcity-hit Solapur got drinking water from the dam despite stiff opposition from the people in Osmanabad.
Accordingly, four doors of the dam were opened and water was released in the bank of Sina river. Authorities had issued instructions to use the water strictly for drinking purpose.
The development was greeted with strong opposition from the people in Osmanabad district who felt they were being deprived of their share of water.
Osmanabad District Collector Pravin Gedam observed that in violation of the water release norms, around 200 agricultural pump sets were operating in Solapur district using the drinking water for irrigating farms.
When water was released on Sunday, Osmanabad district administration imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 CrPC in Paranda town and surrounding areas near the dam.
Superintendent of Police Dattatraya Karale was on the spot to ensure there was no law and order problem considering resistance from local people to release of the water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?
- Afzal Guru row: Why no action against supporters at JNU?- Part V
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!