Water supply from Sina-Kolegaon dam stopped
Mumbai: Maharashtra government Wednesday ordered to stop release of water for Solapur from Sina-Kolegaon dam in Osmanabad district after it was found that water was being used for agriculture, instead of drinking purposes.
"Release of water from the dam has been stopped as it was found that water was used for agriculture while Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had directed it to be used for drinking purposes," a spokesperson for the CM said here today.
Chavan had held meetings with people`s representatives from Osmanabad and Solapur districts and officials recently to ensure that scarcity-hit Solapur got drinking water from the dam, despite stiff opposition from people in Osmanabad.
Accordingly, four doors of the dam were opened and water was released in the bank of Sina river. Authorities had issued instructions to use water strictly for drinking purpose.
The development was greeted with strong opposition from people in Osmanabad district who felt they were being deprived of their share of water.
Osmanabad District Collector Pravin Gedam observed that in violation of the water release norms, around 200 agricultural pumpsets were operating in Solapur district, using water for irrigating farms.
When water was released on Sunday, Osmanabad district administration imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC in Paranda town and surrounding area, near the dam.
Superintendent of Police Dattatraya Karale was on the spot to ensure there was no law and order problem, considering resistance from local people to release of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- NEET 2016: From schedule to state governments' position to results announcement - All you need to know
- Twitter launches 'Connect' to help you find friends
- Hotness alert! Latest pic of Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan will leave you drooling
- Can you believe this? Bullet train fare 1.5 times higher than AC 1st Class
- India vs Zimbabwe: BCCI confirms tour; three ODIs, equal number of T20Is to be played in 12 days