Water supply from Sina-Kolegaon dam stopped
Mumbai: Maharashtra government Wednesday ordered to stop release of water for Solapur from Sina-Kolegaon dam in Osmanabad district after it was found that water was being used for agriculture, instead of drinking purposes.
"Release of water from the dam has been stopped as it was found that water was used for agriculture while Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had directed it to be used for drinking purposes," a spokesperson for the CM said here today.
Chavan had held meetings with people`s representatives from Osmanabad and Solapur districts and officials recently to ensure that scarcity-hit Solapur got drinking water from the dam, despite stiff opposition from people in Osmanabad.
Accordingly, four doors of the dam were opened and water was released in the bank of Sina river. Authorities had issued instructions to use water strictly for drinking purpose.
The development was greeted with strong opposition from people in Osmanabad district who felt they were being deprived of their share of water.
Osmanabad District Collector Pravin Gedam observed that in violation of the water release norms, around 200 agricultural pumpsets were operating in Solapur district, using water for irrigating farms.
When water was released on Sunday, Osmanabad district administration imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC in Paranda town and surrounding area, near the dam.
Superintendent of Police Dattatraya Karale was on the spot to ensure there was no law and order problem, considering resistance from local people to release of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared