Water supply from Sina-Kolegaon dam stopped
Mumbai: Maharashtra government Wednesday ordered to stop release of water for Solapur from Sina-Kolegaon dam in Osmanabad district after it was found that water was being used for agriculture, instead of drinking purposes.
"Release of water from the dam has been stopped as it was found that water was used for agriculture while Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan had directed it to be used for drinking purposes," a spokesperson for the CM said here today.
Chavan had held meetings with people`s representatives from Osmanabad and Solapur districts and officials recently to ensure that scarcity-hit Solapur got drinking water from the dam, despite stiff opposition from people in Osmanabad.
Accordingly, four doors of the dam were opened and water was released in the bank of Sina river. Authorities had issued instructions to use water strictly for drinking purpose.
The development was greeted with strong opposition from people in Osmanabad district who felt they were being deprived of their share of water.
Osmanabad District Collector Pravin Gedam observed that in violation of the water release norms, around 200 agricultural pumpsets were operating in Solapur district, using water for irrigating farms.
When water was released on Sunday, Osmanabad district administration imposed prohibitory orders under Section 144 of CrPC in Paranda town and surrounding area, near the dam.
Superintendent of Police Dattatraya Karale was on the spot to ensure there was no law and order problem, considering resistance from local people to release of water.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics