We need not seek permission from Maha over Belgaum: Yeddyurappa
Bangalore: Joining issue with Maharashtra on the boundary dispute, Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yeddyurappa on Friday asserted that Belgaum belongs to his state and said the government did not require permission from the neighbouring state to do what it wanted there.
"Belgaum belongs to us and we need not seek the
neighbouring state`s permission to do whatever we want to do
there. It is left to me and my government what we want to do
there. Should we get their (Maharashtra`s) permission for
it?” he said.
Maharashtra leaders remarks are "unwarranted and uncalled
for", he told reporters here.
Yeddyurappa`s recent statement that his government
proposed to declare Belgaum as Karnataka`s second capital was
flayed by Congress, NCP and Shiv Sena leaders in Maharashtra
on April 13.
His Maharashtra counterpart Ashok Chavan had charged him
with "speaking out of turn" on the issue.
Stating that the issue has already been settled by the
Mahajan Commission, Yeddyurappa said its recommendations "are
Maharashtra`s act of repeatedly raking up the issue "is
an exercise in futility", he added.
Karnataka is constructing the Suvarna Soudha, a second
secretariat, in Belgaum, which includes bi-cameral legislature
halls to hold the annual winter sessions.
Recently, a person of Kannadiga origin was elected as
Mayor of Belgaum City Corporation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends