Weather prevents plugging of oil leak from MV Rak
Mumbai: Diving operations to plug the oil
leak from the sunken cargo vessel MV Rak could not start for
the second day on Friday due to hostile weather, the Directorate
General of Shipping said.
"The diving operation has ceased due to adverse weather
conditions and will resume when favourable weather and tidal
conditions prevail," a DGS statement said.
The DGS had earlier said a diving operation to plug the
leak will be undertaken on Thursday.
A diving support vessel of ONGC, which has been put on
the job, is present at the site. The DGS said orientation of
the sunken vessel has been completed.
"The layout of the tank arrangements and sources of
pollution such as sounding, filling pipes and air vent
arrangements are being assessed from the ships crew, so that
the exact location can easily be detected by the divers," it
MV Rak sank 20 nautical miles off the coast of Mumbai on
August 4 after the rescue of 30 crewmen. At the time of the
incident, it was reportedly carrying 60,000 tonnes of coal
from Indonesia to Gujarat and also had 325 tonnes of fuel oil
and 56 tonnes of diesel which caused environmental damage.
According to the Coast Guard, the estimated quantity of
oil spill is still about 7-8 tonnes per day.
Coast Guard ship Samudra Prahari continues to use oil
spill dispersant to neutralise the affected areas. In
addition, the Coast Guard also conducted the air sorties and
found that oil spill was observed up to 5 Nautical miles.
Meanwhile, the Maharashtra State Pollution Control Board
reported minor traces of oil at Juhu Beach, the DGS said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day