What action have you taken on illegal schools, HC asks Maha
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court has asked the Maharashtra government to inform by November 21 what action it has taken against education officers who are responsible for allowing unauthorised schools to mushroom in the state.
The direction was given by Chief Justice Mohit Shah and Justice MS Sanklecha on October 7 while hearing a PIL alleging inaction by the government against unauthorised schools.
Government Pleader N P Deshpande sought time to seek instructions on whether the state government had appointed any officer to grant previous sanction for prosecution of officers under Section 36 of `Right of children to free and compulsory education Act` for not acting against unauthorised schools.
Under the Act, the officers found guilty of allowing illegal schools to flourish in the state can be prosecuted only if previous sanction is obtained from an officer authorised by the government.
The judges granted the government pleader time till November 21 to inform what steps the government has taken against the guilty education officers for allowing unauthorised secondary and primary schools to operate in the state.
The Director of Education filed an affidavit, indicating that there were 189 unauthorised secondary schools in the state as on August 21. In Mumbai west, there were 27 such schools, in Thane 33 and Kolhapur 43.
Such unauthorised secondary schools were also found in districts of Raigad, Nashik, Jalgaon, Pune, Satara, Sangli, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg, the affidavit pointed out.
Another affidavit filed by Director of Education for primary schools affirmed there were 243 unauthorised primary schools in the state, including 128 in Mumbai, 22 in Pune, 94 in Kolhapur and 12 in Nasik.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note