What action taken over complaint against Azad Maidan poem: HC
Mumbai: Bombay High Court on Tuesday directed the city police to state what action it took on a complaint against a woman constable over her allegedly racist poem on last year`s Azad Maidan violence.
The division bench of Justices AS Oka and AP Bhangale was hearing a petition filed by Ameen Mustafa Idrisi, who runs an NGO called `Muslim-e-Hind`, seeking registration of FIR against the woman constable and officers responsible for publication of the poem in the police`s house journal.
Constable Sujata Patil`s poem described the Azad Maidan protesters as "snakes" and "traitors" whose "hands should have been chopped off".
Public prosecutor Revati Dere today informed the court that Patil had apologised for the poem.
The bench, posting the matter for hearing on February 18, sought to know what action the police had taken on Idrisi`s complaint to the police.
Idrisi has sought registration of FIR against Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh, Joint Police Commissioner (Administration) Hemant Nagarale, and Patil.
The controversial poem titled `Azad Maidan` by Patil was published in the police department`s house journal `Samvad`.
Idrisi has sought registration of complaint under sections 295(A)(insulting the religion) and 504 (insult to provoke breach of peace) of the Indian Penal Code.
On August 11 last year, a demonstration called to protest alleged atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar had turned violent, resulting in the death of two people and injuries to scores, including women police personnel, and a massive destruction of property. There were allegations that women police personnel were molested during the violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof