What caused the Mumbai Mantralaya fire?
Mumbai: Even as flames encased the Maharashtra government headquarters popularly known Mantralaya, speculation is rife as to the reason behind the fire.
Initial reports suggest that the fire may have been caused due to short-circuit, for that is a common reason for a conflagration of this scale.
News reporters on the site also wondered whether it could have been set off by a cigarette that may have not been extinguished.
However given that security set up, safety precautions and fire preparedness in a building that is at the heart of government operations, reporters wondered whether conspiracy theories can be ruled out; especially, as sensitive papers in cases such as Adarsh scam may be housed at the Mantaralaya.
While the reason for the fire would be investigated, the cause of the initial spark remains anyone’s guess.
Meanwhile, it is believed the fire that broke out on the fourth floor started at around 3 pm and spread to the Chief Minister’s office.
While 200-300 may have been in the building when the fire broke out, there are no reports of casualties so far.
The Chief Minister was not in the building at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!