What caused the Mumbai Mantralaya fire?
Mumbai: Even as flames encased the Maharashtra government headquarters popularly known Mantralaya, speculation is rife as to the reason behind the fire.
Initial reports suggest that the fire may have been caused due to short-circuit, for that is a common reason for a conflagration of this scale.
News reporters on the site also wondered whether it could have been set off by a cigarette that may have not been extinguished.
However given that security set up, safety precautions and fire preparedness in a building that is at the heart of government operations, reporters wondered whether conspiracy theories can be ruled out; especially, as sensitive papers in cases such as Adarsh scam may be housed at the Mantaralaya.
While the reason for the fire would be investigated, the cause of the initial spark remains anyone’s guess.
Meanwhile, it is believed the fire that broke out on the fourth floor started at around 3 pm and spread to the Chief Minister’s office.
While 200-300 may have been in the building when the fire broke out, there are no reports of casualties so far.
The Chief Minister was not in the building at the time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city