When Army jawans turned goons in Pune
Pune: A group of Army jawans clashed with
police following an altercation over traffic violation,
sparking tension here Tuesday evening.
According to the police, the trouble started when a jawan
attached to the College of Military Engineering (CME), riding
a motorbike, was stopped by a traffic constable at Sambhaji
Bridge for running into a no-entry area.
The jawan then returned with his friends and assaulted
the policemen at the nearby outpost, police said.
The jawans, who were in civil clothes, also broke the
cameras of media persons who had rushed to the spot.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Sanjay Jadhav said the CME
jawans had abused and assaulted police constables.
He said the situation was under control and action was
being taken against the culprits.
Meanwhile, GOC-in-C Southern Command Lt Gen A K Singh
said strict action will be taken against those found guilty in
"We will not tolerate any indiscipline," he said.
No arrests has been made so far, police said, adding
that the traffic police personnel allegedly roughed up by the
jawans included two women constables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued