When Army jawans turned goons in Pune
Pune: A group of Army jawans clashed with
police following an altercation over traffic violation,
sparking tension here Tuesday evening.
According to the police, the trouble started when a jawan
attached to the College of Military Engineering (CME), riding
a motorbike, was stopped by a traffic constable at Sambhaji
Bridge for running into a no-entry area.
The jawan then returned with his friends and assaulted
the policemen at the nearby outpost, police said.
The jawans, who were in civil clothes, also broke the
cameras of media persons who had rushed to the spot.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Sanjay Jadhav said the CME
jawans had abused and assaulted police constables.
He said the situation was under control and action was
being taken against the culprits.
Meanwhile, GOC-in-C Southern Command Lt Gen A K Singh
said strict action will be taken against those found guilty in
"We will not tolerate any indiscipline," he said.
No arrests has been made so far, police said, adding
that the traffic police personnel allegedly roughed up by the
jawans included two women constables.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown