Whether I become PM or not is immaterial: Rahul Gandhi
Zee Media Bureau
Mumbai: Kicking off his party`s campaign for the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said whether he becomes the Prime Minister or not is immaterial but what matters is that all Indians, including women and youth, feel it is their country.
"My becoming or not becoming PM does not matter. What is most important is that everyone here, specially women and youth in country feel that this is their own country," Rahul said while responding to best wishes from a youth for becoming the Prime Minister.
The young Congress leader said this while interacting with tribal youth at an engineering college here, as he began his two-day tour of Maharashtra.
Asking youth to enter mainstream politics, the Gandhi scion said there should not be even one youth who says he is afraid in his own country.
"I want to see MLAs, MLCs and MPs from amongst you in the next 10 years, maybe even a Prime Minister also," he said.
Comparing Mahatma Gandhi and Hitler, Rahul said, “The German dictator shouted as he lacked confidence. But did Gandhi ji ever shout? That was because he was confident."
"Like Mahatma Gandhi, humbleness while speaking is a sign of extreme self-confidence. Confidence should not be seen as aggression," he said.
"There is no need for saying things aggressively. You can say it with love. Many people will be with you," he said.
"If anyone, be it Rahul Gandhi or Prithviraj Chavan, says he knows better than you, he is telling a lie," he said. "My request to you, specially tribal youth, is to join mainstream politics," Rahul said.
"My message to the country`s youth is that the talent and capability the youth here have is not there anywhere else," the Congress leader said.
On the progress the country has made since Independence, Rahul pointed out that today there were several rich people in India.
"Around 50 to 70 years ago there was not even a single rich person here. The only rich were maharajas and British," he said.
On March 6, the Congress leader will interact with fishermen at Versova, after which he will address a public rally at Sonale village, Bhiwandi bypass, in Thane district.
AICC General Secretary in-charge of Maharashtra affairs Mohan Prakash, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan and MPCC president Manikrao Thakre are accompaning Rahul during the tour.
Ruling Congress-NCP coalition in Maharashtra will be contesting the Lok Sabha polls with the same 26:22 seat-sharing formula adopted during the last elections, with Congress contesting 26 of the total 48 LS seats in the state.
There are 17 Congress members from the state in the outgoing Lok Sabha while NCP has eight.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark