White paper on irrigation corporations needed: NCP
Mumbai: Seeking to corner the opposition on Maharashtra`s irrigation scam, the Nationalist Congress Party demanded on Thursday that a white paper should cover functioning of all irrigation corporations in the state since its inception during the Sena-BJP government.
Addressing a press conference, NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said that the Krishna Valley Development Corporation, Konkan Irrigation Development Corporation (KIDC), Tapi Irrigation Development Corporation (TIDC), Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation (VIDC) and Godavari Marathwada Irrigation Development Corporation (GMIDC) were formed during the Sena-BJP government.
"Work orders issued were more than budgetary provisions, resulting in delay of work. Bonds were issued. A white paper should include reasons why irrigation projects were lying incomplete," he said.
Without naming BJP leaders Gopinath Munde, Eknath Khadse, Mahadev Shiwankar, who held the irrigation portfolio during the Sena-BJP tenure, Malik said, "People have a right to know how work orders were given without funds by these corporations," he added.
Rejecting activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal`s charge that BJP president Nitin Gadkari and NCP leader Ajit Pawar were hand in gloves in the irrigation scam, Malik said Gadkari as leader of opposition in the legislative council wrote a letter to Ajit Pawar in 2005 regarding the land. Pawar endorsed the letter in four days and sent it to the concerned department. The allotment was done after three years.
"Kejriwal has incomplete information," he said.
Malik also demand that the Centre must transfer Indu Mill land free of cost for the Ambedkar memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists
- Rio Olympics 2016: India to start with a bang
- Congress puts gag order on partymen, asks them not to make comments inconsistent with party stand