White paper on irrigation corporations needed: NCP
Mumbai: Seeking to corner the opposition on Maharashtra`s irrigation scam, the Nationalist Congress Party demanded on Thursday that a white paper should cover functioning of all irrigation corporations in the state since its inception during the Sena-BJP government.
Addressing a press conference, NCP spokesman Nawab Malik said that the Krishna Valley Development Corporation, Konkan Irrigation Development Corporation (KIDC), Tapi Irrigation Development Corporation (TIDC), Vidarbha Irrigation Development Corporation (VIDC) and Godavari Marathwada Irrigation Development Corporation (GMIDC) were formed during the Sena-BJP government.
"Work orders issued were more than budgetary provisions, resulting in delay of work. Bonds were issued. A white paper should include reasons why irrigation projects were lying incomplete," he said.
Without naming BJP leaders Gopinath Munde, Eknath Khadse, Mahadev Shiwankar, who held the irrigation portfolio during the Sena-BJP tenure, Malik said, "People have a right to know how work orders were given without funds by these corporations," he added.
Rejecting activist-turned-politician Arvind Kejriwal`s charge that BJP president Nitin Gadkari and NCP leader Ajit Pawar were hand in gloves in the irrigation scam, Malik said Gadkari as leader of opposition in the legislative council wrote a letter to Ajit Pawar in 2005 regarding the land. Pawar endorsed the letter in four days and sent it to the concerned department. The allotment was done after three years.
"Kejriwal has incomplete information," he said.
Malik also demand that the Centre must transfer Indu Mill land free of cost for the Ambedkar memorial.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon