White Paper on irrigation presented at Maharashtra cabinet meet
Mumbai: A white paper on irrigation, which claims 28 per cent increase in irrigation potential in Maharashtra in the last ten years, was presented at the state cabinet meeting here on Thursday night.
Irrigation Minister Sunil Tatkare of NCP made the presentation at the two-hour-long meeting at the state guest-house Sahyadri here, official sources said.
The development is expected to facilitate former Deputy Chief Minister and senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar`s re-entry into the cabinet, after he resigned over allegations of under-performance and corruption in the irrigation sector.
Sources, however, said the white paper was a status report and not an investigation report.
The irrigation potential has risen to 47.50 lakh hectares in 2010 from 37 lakh hectares in 2001, an increase of 28 per cent, as per the white paper, the sources said.
The rise in irrigated area has been a record 72 per cent at 29 lakh hectares, they added.
Earlier this year, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan (who chaired today`s cabinet meeting) had announced that government would come out with a white paper on irrigation.
The announcement had ruffled feathers in the NCP camp, as the portfolio has always been with the Sharad Pawar-led party.
The paper, after approval by the cabinet, would be tabled in the state legislature during the winter session starting at Nagpur from December 10.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon