White Paper on irrigation presented at Maharashtra cabinet meet
Mumbai: A white paper on irrigation, which claims 28 per cent increase in irrigation potential in Maharashtra in the last ten years, was presented at the state cabinet meeting here on Thursday night.
Irrigation Minister Sunil Tatkare of NCP made the presentation at the two-hour-long meeting at the state guest-house Sahyadri here, official sources said.
The development is expected to facilitate former Deputy Chief Minister and senior NCP leader Ajit Pawar`s re-entry into the cabinet, after he resigned over allegations of under-performance and corruption in the irrigation sector.
Sources, however, said the white paper was a status report and not an investigation report.
The irrigation potential has risen to 47.50 lakh hectares in 2010 from 37 lakh hectares in 2001, an increase of 28 per cent, as per the white paper, the sources said.
The rise in irrigated area has been a record 72 per cent at 29 lakh hectares, they added.
Earlier this year, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan (who chaired today`s cabinet meeting) had announced that government would come out with a white paper on irrigation.
The announcement had ruffled feathers in the NCP camp, as the portfolio has always been with the Sharad Pawar-led party.
The paper, after approval by the cabinet, would be tabled in the state legislature during the winter session starting at Nagpur from December 10.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India