Who is Yakub Abdul Razak Memon?
The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a curative petition by 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, who will be hanged till death on July 30. Here are a few facts about Memon:
Mumbai/New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Tuesday dismissed a curative petition by 1993 Mumbai serial bomb blasts convict Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, who will be hanged till death on July 30. Here are a few facts about Memon:
- Yakub Abdul Razak Memon, born on July 30, 1962, is a Chartered Accountant by profession.
- Yakub Memon, convicted in March 12, 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts, is the brother of Ibrahim Mushtaq 'Tiger' Memon, who is one of the prime accused in the case.
- While serving his sentence, Yakub Memon completed two Master’s degrees in English Literature and Political Science from the Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU).
- Yakub Memon was awarded the death sentence by a Special Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act (TADA) court in Mumbai on July 27, 2007 for his role in the Mumbai blasts, including arranging finances for carrying out the 13 serial explosions which left 257 dead and over 700 injured across the city on March 12, 1993.
- Upon hearing the judgement, Yakub Memon had screamed, “Oh Lord, forgive this man (the judge) for he knows not what he does”.
- The sentence was later upheld by the Supreme Court in 2013. The SC had in 2013 said that Yakub was the mastermind of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts.
- Yakub Memon was arrested on August 06, 1994 when he arrived at Delhi Airport from Kathmandu. He had claimed he felt remorse and wanted to surrender.
- Yakub Abdul Razak Memon's will be the first execution in connection with the violence that rocked Mumbai in 1993.
- Memon is likely to be hanged on July 30 in the Nagpur Central Jail, where he is currently lodged. Ironically, the date set for his execution coincides with his 53rd birthday.