Why can`t police trace Chhota Rajan, asks HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court Tuesday raised questions as to why the investigating agencies have failed to trace underworld gangster Chhota Rajan when mediapersons have been able to establish contact with him for telephonic interviews.
A division bench of Justices S C Dharmadhikari and Gautam Patel was hearing a petition filed by Shiv Sena corporator from Pune, Ajay Bhosale, seeking direction to the police to properly investigate the 2009 case of two men firing at him.
After the petition was filed, the Pune police arrested one Mohammad Rafique Shaikh and issued warrant against one more accused Rajesh Yadav, who is lodged at a jail in Uttar Pradesh for his involvement in a crime there. According to the police, two accused - Chhota Rajan and Vijay Shetty - have been shown as wanted in the case.
Additional public prosecutor Purnima Kantharia today told the court that the police do not know Rajan`s whereabouts.
To this, Justice Dharmadhikari said, "We find it hard to believe this. Private persons have been able to establish contact with him (Rajan) and take interviews on phone. He participates in chat shows then why is the police not able to trace his location."
The bench has directed the Pune CID, which is probing the case, to submit its additional investigation report within four weeks.
According to the petitioner, on October 11, 2009 two men on a bike opened fire at him when he was travelling in his car. While he did not receive any injuries, his driver sustained minor injuries.
"Bhosale lodged a complaint with the police stating that one Agarwal, his rival had given supari (contract money) to Chhota Rajan to eliminate him. However, the police did not probe the case following which a petition was filed,"
Bhosale`s advocates Manish Bhore and Anant Shargavkar argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- MUST WATCH VIDEO FOR ALL CRICKET FANS: When Rahul Dravid found himself stranded against XI South Africans
- Dayashankar row: How sympathising BSP leader Nasimuddin Siddiqui turns into a 'villain' – READ
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh