Why Maharashtra Govt buying costlier electricity from pvt firms: BJP
Mumbai: BJP leader and leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Council Vinod Tawde on Saturday said the state government should have sought electricity from the central grid in the face of power shortage.
"I spoke to the Union Coal Minister and he is ready to provide electricity as per the state`s needs. But according to the rules, the state has to request the Centre, which it has not done yet," he told reporters here.
About Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar`s statement that the state was looking to buy electricity from private companies, Tawde said, "If the central government is ready to provide electricity, why does the state need to go to private companies?
"Taking electricity from private companies means shelling out more money. Why does the state want to purchase electricity at a higher cost remains a question," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town