Why Maharashtra Govt buying costlier electricity from pvt firms: BJP
Mumbai: BJP leader and leader of Opposition in the Maharashtra Legislative Council Vinod Tawde on Saturday said the state government should have sought electricity from the central grid in the face of power shortage.
"I spoke to the Union Coal Minister and he is ready to provide electricity as per the state`s needs. But according to the rules, the state has to request the Centre, which it has not done yet," he told reporters here.
About Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar`s statement that the state was looking to buy electricity from private companies, Tawde said, "If the central government is ready to provide electricity, why does the state need to go to private companies?
"Taking electricity from private companies means shelling out more money. Why does the state want to purchase electricity at a higher cost remains a question," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened