`Why MCOCA not applied in contract killing cases`
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Friday
directed the state government to file an affidavit stating why
the provisions of the stringent MCOCA are not applied in cases
involving contract killing.
"Cases involving contract killing are on the rise. If
organised syndicates are not involved in such cases, where do
these middle-class youth (contract killers) get weapons like
pistols and revolvers?" asked the division bench of justices B
H Marlapalle and UD Salvi.
The court was hearing a petition filed by former
journalist Ketan Tirodkar, contending that the provisions of
Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act, which was enacted
specially to curb organised crime, should be applied in every
case involving contract killing.
The petition cites the example of the murder of
Congress leader Pawanraje Nimbalkar and the fake encounter
killing of Ramnarayan Gupta, alleged aide of gangster Chhota
Tirodkar pointed out that both the cases involved
contract killing. The court has sought state`s reply in three
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened