Widows of farmers observe `Black Diwali` in Vidarbha
Nagpur: Several widows of farmers, who had earlier committed suicide in Maharashtra`s Vidarbha region, observed a "Black Diwali" this time in Yavatmal district.
Hundreds of widows went on a day-long hunger strike yesterday under the scorching sun, and later passed a resolution demanding immediate compensation and relief, along with other facilities, Vidarbha Jan Andolan Samiti (VJAS) activist Kishore Tiwari said in a release today.
VJAS is an advocacy group for farmers in Vidarbha region.
Tiwari said that it was high time that the government implemented relief measures on farmlands on "war-footing".
The protest by widows was organised on the occasion of Diwali in an attempt to highlight the woes and plight of the people in the region, which saw "erosion of around 10 lakh acres of land and damage to crops worth over Rs 20,000 crore this monsoon," he said.
Apart from demanding compensation and relief, the widows and farmland activists have also pressed for facilities like pension schemes, waiving of debts, an increase in relief amount and a hike in minimum support price of cotton to Rs 6,000 per quintal, Tiwari added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today