‘Will appoint CA to help police in Kripashankar case`
Mumbai: Maharashtra government will make available a chartered accountant (CA) to help police, who on Friday conducted raids at the premises of former city Congress chief Kripashankar Singh, accused of amassing disproportionate
assets, Home Minister R R Patil said today.
"The government does not want to shield anybody. That is not our viewpoint. The court has expressed faith in us and issued directions, which are being acted upon," Patil said.
"No one has interfered in the investigations. Police have been directed to conduct the probe in an objective manner," the minister said.
Meanwhile, MNS president Raj Thackeray, speaking to reporters here, blamed "local leadership" in Congress for the rise of Singh, whom he called an "agent". Local leaders have harbored such people, he added.
Asked if the raids were a farce, Raj said, "Let us see. How can one say anything now?"
"Despite the court orders, why did the government take so long to act? Action should now be initiated against the state government," Raj said.
The former Mumbai Congress chief, who is facing graft charges, had yesterday moved the Supreme Court challenging the High Court verdict for his prosecution and attachment of immovable properties, two days after an FIR was registered by
the city police against him in the disproportionate assets case.
On February 22, the High Court, after holding that prima facie case of criminal misconduct is made out against the leader, ordered his prosecution.
The HC passed the direction while hearing a PIL filed by activist Sanjay Tiwari, who alleged the Congress MLA had amassed wealth disproportionate to his known sources of income. The court, while keeping the PIL pending, has directed
the Commissioner of Police to file a compliance report on April 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda