`Will correct procedural lapse in arrest of vandal
Mumbai: Mumbai Police Commissioner Satyapal Singh on Saturday said he would try to correct if there was any procedural lapse committed by his officers while arresting an Azad Maidan violence accused from Bihar.
Singh, who replaced Arup Patnaik in the aftermath of August 11 Azad Maidan violence, told a news agency, "I have been told that a letter was received from the DGP of Bihar (in connection with the incident) but I am yet to go through it".
Singh said, "I know the Bihar DGP very well. I don`t think there should be any problem. Do not portray it as an ego problem or so. We had co-operated with each other and would continue to do so. In case there was some lapse in procedure, we will try to correct it."
The city police chief`s statement comes a day after MNS chief Raj Thackeray threatened to brand Biharis as "infiltrators" and force them out of Maharashtra if authorities in Bihar take legal action against Mumbai policemen who picked up a teenager from there without informing their counterparts in that state.
Abdul Qadir Mohammed Younus Ansari(19) was arrested by Mumbai Crime Branch on Monday from Sitamarhi in Bihar for allegedly vandalising Amar Jawan Memorial near Azad Maidan during August 11 rioting following a protest called against atrocities on Muslims in Assam and Myanmar. Two protesters were killed and over 50 injured, mostly policemen and those from the media, during the rioting.
Singh refused to respond to Thackeray`s comments but said that all citizens are safe here.
Referring to the letter received from the Bihar government, Raj Thackeray had said yesterday that "The letter says Mumbai police has to get in touch with the Bihar government before picking up any person from their state. If Mumbai crime branch picks up people from their state without the knowledge of the Bihar police, they would face legal action".
Thackeray said "If the Bihar government tries to put up hurdles in the way of police investigation, then my party would dub every Bihari in Maharashtra as an infiltrator and force them to leave the state."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- DNA : Analysis of connection between Emaar MGF and Rahul Gandhi
- Pakistan is raising a security force to protect Chinese nationals
- Govt targets Rs 64,580 cr revenue in FY17 from spectrum sale
- Seven Indian shuttlers set to qualify for Rio Olympics
- Sanjay Dutt rejects speculation on joining BJP, says 'attended the event for my friend'
- WATCH: Despite crushing defeat, Virat Kohli shows ultimate sign of sporting spirit