Will ensure Mumbai gang-rape case is water-tight: Chavan
New Delhi: Maharashtra Chief Minister Prithiviraj Chavan said on Tuesday the state government will ensure the case relating to the gang-rape of a young photo-journalist in Mumbai last week is water-tight.
"A major problem is delay that takes in most of the cases. We will try to expedite the case in a fast track court. We have already appointed a special public prosecutor in the case. To ensure that the case becomes water-tight, we are taking the assistance of National Forensic Laboratory and Forensic Science Laboratory in Ahemdabad."
He also said there was no headway in the probe into the murder of social activist Narendra Dabholkar who was killed in Pune early this month by unidentified assailants.
"There is difficulty in getting solid evidence in the case. We tried to check his call records but did not find anything substantial. We are trying our best to crack the case."
He also said Maharahstra government had written to the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) to ban two organisations but has not got any response.
Last week, MHA had turned down an offer to ban right-wing wing organisation Abhinav Bharat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon