Will examine legal angle on reservation: Chavan
Mumbai: All legal angles would be examined on the issue of reservation for Maratha community in Maharashtra, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said here on Tuesday.
"A proposal would be brought before the state cabinet after examining all the legal angles on the matter," Chavan said, after a meeting with leaders of Maratha community and senior officials.
Chavan announced that the fund for the Annasaheb Patil Mahamandal, named after a prominent Maratha leader, would be increased from Rs 5 crore to Rs 50 crore.
The state government appointed the Saraf Commission to resolve that issue. However, Saraf died recently and a new commission head would be appointed soon, the meeting was informed.
The Maratha Arakshan Sangharsha Samiti (MASS), the apex body of 15 Maratha organisations in Maharashtra has been demanding that the Congress-NCP led government in the state should extend the benefit of reservations to the community.
Maratha organisations claim that the community is in desperate need of reservation and that the state government should be ready to face the consequences if their demands are not met.
Marathas (including the economically weaker Kunbi sub-caste) comprise about 30 per cent of the state population and the community control the cooperative and sugar sector in the state. Marathas have about 43 per cent representation in the state legislature and local governing bodies are dominated by the community.
The community wants reservation for them in schools, colleges and jobs in the first phase and political reservation and reservation in promotions in second phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off
- India vs South Africa, 1st ODI: Rohit's century in vain as Proteas snatch 5-run win