Will examine legal angle on reservation: Chavan
Mumbai: All legal angles would be examined on the issue of reservation for Maratha community in Maharashtra, chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said here on Tuesday.
"A proposal would be brought before the state cabinet after examining all the legal angles on the matter," Chavan said, after a meeting with leaders of Maratha community and senior officials.
Chavan announced that the fund for the Annasaheb Patil Mahamandal, named after a prominent Maratha leader, would be increased from Rs 5 crore to Rs 50 crore.
The state government appointed the Saraf Commission to resolve that issue. However, Saraf died recently and a new commission head would be appointed soon, the meeting was informed.
The Maratha Arakshan Sangharsha Samiti (MASS), the apex body of 15 Maratha organisations in Maharashtra has been demanding that the Congress-NCP led government in the state should extend the benefit of reservations to the community.
Maratha organisations claim that the community is in desperate need of reservation and that the state government should be ready to face the consequences if their demands are not met.
Marathas (including the economically weaker Kunbi sub-caste) comprise about 30 per cent of the state population and the community control the cooperative and sugar sector in the state. Marathas have about 43 per cent representation in the state legislature and local governing bodies are dominated by the community.
The community wants reservation for them in schools, colleges and jobs in the first phase and political reservation and reservation in promotions in second phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31