Windfall for Maoists surrendering in Maharashtra
Mumbai: Maharashtra is luring Maoists with incentives if they lay down arms and surrender to bring down violence in the some of the worst-hit districts.
The state has revised and enhanced rewards and rehabilitation for various categories of Maoists who give up violence and join the mainstream society, according to a cabinet decision late Wednesday.
A village or area Maoist will be entitled to a reward of Rs 150,000 - up from existing Rs 40,000 - if he/she surrenders.
A local dalam commander or deputy commander would get between Rs 200,000-Rs 300,000, up from the present Rs 75,000-Rs 200,000.
Platoon commanders would be entitled to between Rs 250,000-Rs 400,000 and company dalam commanders would get between Rs 350,000-500,000, while any company dalam members would be given Rs 250,000.
Any group of Maoists which surrenders would get between Rs 400,000-Rs 1 million, double the present compensation.
Husband-wife Maoists surrendering would get Rs 150,000, triple the existing Rs 50,000.
Divisional level members of office-bearers would be rewarded with between Rs.600,000-Rs.1 million, state-level or special zone committee members would be paid between Rs.800,000-Rs.1.50 million.
At higher levels like regional bureau, central committees or polit-bureau members or office-bearers, the compensation has been enhanced from the present Rs 400,000-Rs 1 millon to between Rs 1.60 million to Rs 2 million.
Even the weapons the surrendering Maoists bring in with them would fetch rewards – Rs 150,000 for Light Machine Guns, AK-47/57/74 rifles, SLRs, rocket launchers, wireless sets, grenades, and electronic detonators.
The government would ensure that the rewards would be utilized to buy assets as a commitment that the Maoists are ready to integrate into mainstream society, an official explained.
Justifying the rewards, the official said that since the launch of the scheme in 2005, 410 Maoists have laid down arms and last year along, 38 Maoists surrendered.
The state is optimistic that with the huge enhanced benefits, many who have taken to Maoist activists would embrace a normal life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack