With proof, contempt cases can be seriously dealt: HC
Mumbai: The Bombay High Court on Thursday said any person, irrespective of who he or she is, disrespecting, disregarding and maligning the court and judges will face serious consequences provided adequate details regarding the contemptuous statement is submitted.
A division bench of Justices S C Dharmadhikari and G S Patel was hearing a petition filed by advocate Ejaz Naqvi seeking contempt action to be initiated against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray for allegedly making remarks against the judiciary.
On February 5, 2012, the High Court had rejected a petition filed by MNS seeking permission to hold a political rally at Shivaji Park in central Mumbai. The court had refused to grant permission on the ground that the venue fell under the silence zone.
According to the contempt petition, soon after the High Court decision, Raj had in a speech referred to the decision as "partisan".
"It is a serious issue but we need some authenticated document to show that such remarks were made. You (petitioner) should have attached either the news clippings or video procured from news channels of the speech. You have to also establish the correctness of the reports," the court said.
"We are concerned about judges` dignity. Show us details that somebody is showing highest disrespect and disregard towards the court and judges and are maligning it," Justice Dharmadhikari said.
"Don`t think that all these details are sought to favour him (Raj) as he is a big person. Law is equal in this court. Same standards apply for everybody. But at the same time the court cannot overlook the requirements of law while initiating criminal action for contempt," Justice Patel said.
The bench granted Naqvi six weeks` time to obtain details from news channels and papers regarding the speech.
"Since the matter pertains to dignity of this court we are giving final chance," the court said.
Raj, in his reply affidavit, had denied the allegation and said he had not made any remark against the judiciary. Raj claimed that he was "upset" with the court but had not cast any aspersion on either the judiciary or the judges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Check uaresults.nic.in for Uttarakhand Board Class 12 result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes