Woman Congress leader shot dead in Mumbai
Mumbai: A Congress leader was shot dead and her grandson injured in an attack here on Saturday evening, police said.
The victim, Rani Karotia, 53, was shot by a youth, identified as Akhtar, near her residence in Gajanand Colony, Shastri Nagar area of the congested Dharavi area, around 5.00 pm.
When her grandson, Krishna M Karotia, 18, attempted to save her, the assailant shot him in the shoulder.
The motive behind the attack is still not clear, but police recovered a pistol and a sword from Akhtar, police said.
The injured duo was taken to Sion Hospital where Rani - the local Congress ward president - succumbed soon afterwards.
Krishna who sustained a bullet injury on the shoulder is recuperating and his condition is reported to be stable.
Police said that after the attack, the assailant Akhtar shot himself and he was admitted to the same hospital in a serious condition.
Though some local television channels claimed he had also succumbed to his injuries, police and hospital authorities refused to confirm the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh