Woman Congress leader shot dead in Mumbai
Mumbai: A Congress leader was shot dead and her grandson injured in an attack here on Saturday evening, police said.
The victim, Rani Karotia, 53, was shot by a youth, identified as Akhtar, near her residence in Gajanand Colony, Shastri Nagar area of the congested Dharavi area, around 5.00 pm.
When her grandson, Krishna M Karotia, 18, attempted to save her, the assailant shot him in the shoulder.
The motive behind the attack is still not clear, but police recovered a pistol and a sword from Akhtar, police said.
The injured duo was taken to Sion Hospital where Rani - the local Congress ward president - succumbed soon afterwards.
Krishna who sustained a bullet injury on the shoulder is recuperating and his condition is reported to be stable.
Police said that after the attack, the assailant Akhtar shot himself and he was admitted to the same hospital in a serious condition.
Though some local television channels claimed he had also succumbed to his injuries, police and hospital authorities refused to confirm the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Barack Obama slams Donald Trump for 'selling fear'; endorses Hillary Clinton for US presidency
- India vs West Indies, 2nd Test: Virat Kohli and co get into Jamaican groove with heavy work-out
- Air India passengers to have hassle-free travel; 2 check-in counters opened at Delhi Metro station
- Abu Jundal convicted in 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case; court accepts there was a conspiracy to eliminate Modi, Togadia
- Easy tips on how to keep your lipstick stay longer! Watch video