Woman Congress leader shot dead in Mumbai
Mumbai: A Congress leader was shot dead and her grandson injured in an attack here on Saturday evening, police said.
The victim, Rani Karotia, 53, was shot by a youth, identified as Akhtar, near her residence in Gajanand Colony, Shastri Nagar area of the congested Dharavi area, around 5.00 pm.
When her grandson, Krishna M Karotia, 18, attempted to save her, the assailant shot him in the shoulder.
The motive behind the attack is still not clear, but police recovered a pistol and a sword from Akhtar, police said.
The injured duo was taken to Sion Hospital where Rani - the local Congress ward president - succumbed soon afterwards.
Krishna who sustained a bullet injury on the shoulder is recuperating and his condition is reported to be stable.
Police said that after the attack, the assailant Akhtar shot himself and he was admitted to the same hospital in a serious condition.
Though some local television channels claimed he had also succumbed to his injuries, police and hospital authorities refused to confirm the development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy