Woman Congress leader shot dead in Mumbai
Mumbai: A Congress leader was shot dead and her grandson injured in an attack here on Saturday evening, police said.
The victim, Rani Karotia, 53, was shot by a youth, identified as Akhtar, near her residence in Gajanand Colony, Shastri Nagar area of the congested Dharavi area, around 5.00 pm.
When her grandson, Krishna M Karotia, 18, attempted to save her, the assailant shot him in the shoulder.
The motive behind the attack is still not clear, but police recovered a pistol and a sword from Akhtar, police said.
The injured duo was taken to Sion Hospital where Rani - the local Congress ward president - succumbed soon afterwards.
Krishna who sustained a bullet injury on the shoulder is recuperating and his condition is reported to be stable.
Police said that after the attack, the assailant Akhtar shot himself and he was admitted to the same hospital in a serious condition.
Though some local television channels claimed he had also succumbed to his injuries, police and hospital authorities refused to confirm the development.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis