Woman files rape plaint as man fails to turn up for marriage
Nagpur: A woman filed a complaint of rape and cheating against a man and his family after they failed to turn up for the wedding scheduled for the couple, police said today.
Vijay Madan Pillay (30), an Army jawan, was in love with the 29-year-old woman, who is now five months` pregnant, and had allegedly maintained sexual relationship with her for the last five years while promising to marry her, police said.
Yesterday, the couple was scheduled to get married in the city, but the groom and his family did not turn up for the wedding ceremony.
The woman`s family, residing in Gattigudam area of the city, tried to locate them, failing which they lodged a complaint against Vijay and his family at Sardar police station here.
Police said offences under relevant sections including rape and cheating were registered against Vijay and his family members.
Incidentally, Pillays had lodged a complaint with police two days back that the woman was already married and that they were cheated by her.
Further investigation was on, police added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing