Woman paraded naked: Rights panel seeks report
Satara: A day after a Dalit woman was assaulted and paraded naked in western Maharashtra, the state’s Women Rights Commission on Thursday demanded stringent action against those were responsible for the shameless act.
Taking cognisance of the matter, the commission warned the local administration to act as soon as possible or be ready to face the charges of negligence of duty.
The shocking incident took place in the Mulgaon village of Patan tehsil in Satara district, western Maharashtra when a group of influential people assaulted and paraded Rekha Chavan, 42, naked after her son eloped with a girl from a high-caste family.
Patan police later arrested Kisan Dattatray Desai (45), Hambirrao Bapurao Desai (39), Shantabai Kisan Desai (35), Vimal Vishwas Desai (32) and Sunita Hambirrao Desai (35) and booked them under Indian Penal Code sections 143, 149 (unlawful assembly), 354 (assault with intention to outrage woman`s modesty) and 324 (causing grievous hurt).
The police, however, refused to confirm if the victim was paraded naked. After the incident, the Dalit woman was admitted to a hospital at Karad in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Euro 2016: Cristiano Ronaldo sends Portugal to pre-quarters - All details here
- Salman Khan's 'raped woman' controversy: Here's what Nawazuddin Siddiqui has to say about his 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan'
- Brexit: Emotions a key factor as the British EU referendum looms
- SCO Summit: India looks forward to fruitful outcome, says PM Narendra Modi
- 'Nautanki, full drama CM': Arvind Kejriwal tweets praising a movie; Twitter explodes with hilarious reactions