Woman paraded naked: Rights panel seeks report
Satara: A day after a Dalit woman was assaulted and paraded naked in western Maharashtra, the state’s Women Rights Commission on Thursday demanded stringent action against those were responsible for the shameless act.
Taking cognisance of the matter, the commission warned the local administration to act as soon as possible or be ready to face the charges of negligence of duty.
The shocking incident took place in the Mulgaon village of Patan tehsil in Satara district, western Maharashtra when a group of influential people assaulted and paraded Rekha Chavan, 42, naked after her son eloped with a girl from a high-caste family.
Patan police later arrested Kisan Dattatray Desai (45), Hambirrao Bapurao Desai (39), Shantabai Kisan Desai (35), Vimal Vishwas Desai (32) and Sunita Hambirrao Desai (35) and booked them under Indian Penal Code sections 143, 149 (unlawful assembly), 354 (assault with intention to outrage woman`s modesty) and 324 (causing grievous hurt).
The police, however, refused to confirm if the victim was paraded naked. After the incident, the Dalit woman was admitted to a hospital at Karad in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31