Woman paraded naked: Rights panel seeks report
Satara: A day after a Dalit woman was assaulted and paraded naked in western Maharashtra, the state’s Women Rights Commission on Thursday demanded stringent action against those were responsible for the shameless act.
Taking cognisance of the matter, the commission warned the local administration to act as soon as possible or be ready to face the charges of negligence of duty.
The shocking incident took place in the Mulgaon village of Patan tehsil in Satara district, western Maharashtra when a group of influential people assaulted and paraded Rekha Chavan, 42, naked after her son eloped with a girl from a high-caste family.
Patan police later arrested Kisan Dattatray Desai (45), Hambirrao Bapurao Desai (39), Shantabai Kisan Desai (35), Vimal Vishwas Desai (32) and Sunita Hambirrao Desai (35) and booked them under Indian Penal Code sections 143, 149 (unlawful assembly), 354 (assault with intention to outrage woman`s modesty) and 324 (causing grievous hurt).
The police, however, refused to confirm if the victim was paraded naked. After the incident, the Dalit woman was admitted to a hospital at Karad in the district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply