Woman sales tax officer arrested for receiving bribe
Mumbai: Sleuths of the Anti-Corruption Bureau caught red-handed a woman Sales tax officer here while receiving bribes of Rs 90,000 at the department headquarters in South Mumbai, for settling two separate cases.
Interestingly, two ACB teams were working independently on different complaints against accused Sunita Waidande. Both the teams caught the officer at the same time yesterday at Vikrikar Bhavan building at Mazgaon, police said on Wednesday.
According to Maharashtra ACB, a businessman involved in buying and selling of steel wanted a Sales Tax notice issued against him to be revoked for which Waidande demanded Rs one lakh bribe.
After much bargaining, the officer settled for Rs 80,000. Later the victim approached ACB.
In the second case, a garment businessman was imposed a Sales Tax of Rs 8,000 in the year 2008-09 but he did not pay the amount due to which it rose to Rs 44,730 with penalties.
As the victim pleaded for relief before the officer, she agreed to take the actual Sales Tax amount minus the penalty but demanded a bribe of Rs 10,000 for the favour.
The victim agreed but later complained to ACB.
Both the ACB teams laid independent traps at the same time yesterday and arrested her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?