Woman sales tax officer arrested for receiving bribe
Mumbai: Sleuths of the Anti-Corruption Bureau caught red-handed a woman Sales tax officer here while receiving bribes of Rs 90,000 at the department headquarters in South Mumbai, for settling two separate cases.
Interestingly, two ACB teams were working independently on different complaints against accused Sunita Waidande. Both the teams caught the officer at the same time yesterday at Vikrikar Bhavan building at Mazgaon, police said on Wednesday.
According to Maharashtra ACB, a businessman involved in buying and selling of steel wanted a Sales Tax notice issued against him to be revoked for which Waidande demanded Rs one lakh bribe.
After much bargaining, the officer settled for Rs 80,000. Later the victim approached ACB.
In the second case, a garment businessman was imposed a Sales Tax of Rs 8,000 in the year 2008-09 but he did not pay the amount due to which it rose to Rs 44,730 with penalties.
As the victim pleaded for relief before the officer, she agreed to take the actual Sales Tax amount minus the penalty but demanded a bribe of Rs 10,000 for the favour.
The victim agreed but later complained to ACB.
Both the ACB teams laid independent traps at the same time yesterday and arrested her.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what