Woman succumbs to swine flu in Mumbai
Mumbai: A 25-year-old woman succumbed to H1N1
virus here, as the city reported its first swine flu death in
nearly eight months, health officials said Monday.
Ashiya Sheikh, a resident of Bhandup, who had delivered
twins on May 30, succumbed to the virus at the Sion hospital
on Saturday last, they said.
"Sheikh was put on Tami flu on June 2 when symptoms of
H1N1 were first observed. She had developed ARDS (acute
respiratory distress syndrome) and was shifted to the medical
intensive care unit," Head of Epidemiology cell, Municipal
Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM), Dr Daksha Shah said.
The last swine flu death in the city was reported in
Following Sheikh`s death, the civic body has adopted a
wait and watch policy but has put its health department on
"With one death we cannot say the virus is back in the
air. We do not want to create panic among people. It is a wait
and watch situation but we have put our health machinery on
alert," additional municipal commissioner, MCGM, Manisha
According to health officials, four persons have tested
positive to the H1N1 virus in the past one week.
"The city has reported positive cases of swine flu. But
these are sporadic cases and there has been no substantial
rise in cases," Mhaiskar said.
Mumbai has reported about 32 deaths due to swine flu
since last August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe