Won`t tolerate efforts to create social tensions: Chavan
Mumbai: Stressing upon the cosmopolitan
culture of Mumbai, Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan
Sunday said all communities are given due respect in the
country`s financial capital and any effort to spread hatred
and divisiveness will be nipped from the bud.
"Gujaratis and Marathi-speaking people of Mumbai have
contributed hugely in the progress and development of the
state in the last 50 years... (However) It is not just
Gujaratis, but all communities are given respect and love in
the city. There is no tension among people here. Attempts to
provoke social and communal tensions need to be stopped," he
said at a function to felicitate Kapol Bank chairman K D Vora
on his 70th birthday here.
"Seeds of hatred have to be nipped from bud and my
government has never encouraged divisive efforts," he said.
No politics over meeting with Raj
Chavan meanwhile downplayed his meeting with MNS president Raj
Thackeray, saying that no politics was involved in the talks
he had with the latter.
"Many political parties have their views on how to go
about legally on the Best-Five scheme which has been struck
down by the High Court. I have decided to hear out everybody.
There is no politics involved. He gave some suggestions and we
have decided to examine those issues," Chavan told reporters
Congress MP Sanjay Nirupam said he did not find
anything wrong with the meeting. "It is a matter of the
academic life of lakhs of students," he said.
Thackeray met Chavan at `Varsha`, the Chief Minister`s
official residence in South Mumbai yesterday.
The MNS chief had expressed concern for lakhs of 10th
class pass students whose fate is in limbo after Bombay High
Court struck down the government`s `Best of Five` system for
admissions in standard XI on grounds that it was
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Is your Indian passport among those to be declared invalid from November 25, 2015?